In the next couple of days, La Sportiva will unveil their new skimo race product line to the World – Syborg skis and Syborg boots – that should be available in store by the fall of 2014.
Following a similar strategy like Dynafit and Scarpa, the La Sportiva Syborg skis and boots will be affordable versions of their top skimo race line, the RSR skis and the Stratos Cube boots.
Syborg skimo boot specs and price
According to La Sportiva: “The Syborg boot draws on the innovation and technology of La Sportiva’s award-winning Stratos series to create an everyday training boot for serious racers or a race day boot for amateurs.”
The two-buckle Syborg is reported to weigh 800 grams per boot in size 27, but it’s not entirely clear whether that is with or without the liner. The Syborg will feature the single level CavoBike lever to transition between walk and ski mode. And to underline La Sportiva’s intention with this boot, it will retail for $749, thus, directly competing with Dynafit PDG boots and Scarpa Alien.
- Cuff material: Carbon Reinforced Polymer (Grilamid®/Carbon)
- Shell: Grilamid®
- Sole: LazerGrip2™
- Sizes availability: 23.5 – 30 (including half sizes)
- Range of Motion: 75° (35° back/40° front)
- Forward Lean: 4 positions (14°, 16°, 18°, 20°)
- Inner Boot: EZ Thermo Race™
- Buckle Closures: 2 + Power Strap (optional)
- Last Width: 100.4 mm
Syborg skis specs and price
Just like with the new boots, the Syborg skis are designed to directly compete with the Dynafit’s PDG line – their suggested retail price should be set at $699 once they hit the stores.
The Syborg ski features Light Karuba Paulownia Wood core and the focus is on strength and durability, with additional laminate layers, a thicker more durable top sheet material and longer lasting 1.8 mm steel edges.
Dimensions-wise these skis are a copy of La Sportiva’s top model, the RSR, but weighing 100 grams more:
- 160 cm version (97-65-77) will weigh around 800 grams
- 153 cm version (same side cut) will be around 780 grams
- Construction Type: CF TORSION BOX – 100% Camber
- Top Sheet: 0.3 mm Double Polyamide (ISO ICP8210)
- Core: Vertical Laminated Light Karuba Paulownia Wood
- Laminate Layer 1: Carbon Fiber/Glass Twill
- Reinforcement Plates: Glass Fiber – under binding mounting points
- Base Material: Prewaxed P-Tex 5000
- Edge Material: 1.8 mm steel + rubber laminate
- Features: Notch in tip for race skin attachment, flat tail
To see how these two new products will compare against all other light skis and boots visit these pages: