We are used to racing the Ken Jones Classic ski mountaineering race in late March or even April but not any more – the organizers have decided to move this great event to a true winter date!
With weather looking clear around Lake Louise Ski Area for this weekend and Canadian Skimo Series points on the line we should see a pretty competitive field in both men’s and women’s main racing categories.
» If you missed last year’s edition and some great stories then catch up with the 2013 Ken Jones Classic race report.
- Race course should climb its usual 1500 m (3 uphills including 1 or 2 boot-pack sections)
- Enduro and Youth categories course will feature around 800 m (2 uphills)
- Last-second registration at 6.00-7.00 am
- Pre-race meeting at 7.00-7.30am
- Race starts at 8.30 am on Saturday, February 8th
» For registration and all details for the Ken Jones Classic see this page – http://www.skimocanada.org/2014/01/2014-ken-jones-classic/
See you all there!
Who is Ken Jones?
Ken Jones was born in Golden, BC and through hard work he became the first Canadian born and a legendary mountain guide in an area that was dominated by Europeans up to that time (1930s).
Well into his nineties, he was a regular visitor to the Skoki area, located in the Lake Louise Ski Resort backcountry, where he led visitors into the mountains he loved and knew so well. Jones passed away in 2004.