Lake Louise Ski Area will be hosting the 2nd annual Ken Jones Classic on March 24th, 2012. This ski mountaineering challenge will be the last race on the Canadian skimo calendar this season.
Lake Louise Ski Area partnered with the Alpine Club of Canada to organize this event and they are promising true ski mountaineering courses, great fun, $1000 cash purse and lots of draw prizes.
Ken Jones Classic quick facts
» $70 (youth only $35) will sign you up, pay for your day lift ticket and more!
» race poster for Ken Jones Classic skimo race (in PDF)
Schedule – all is happening on Saturday, Mar 24th:
- 7.00am – Check-in (bibs pickup, last opportunity to register) in the Great Bear Room in the Lake Louise ski area Base Complex
- 7.30am – Race briefing (course presentation), should be same place
- after the briefing a special lift will be running to take all up to the Whitehorn start
Two race courses:
- The Youth and Enduro courses will climb from Whitehorn Lodge, over the Summit, to Richardson’s Ridge, and back to the Base Area finish by way of Temple Lodge – approximately 620 metres / 2000 feet of climbing and descending.
- The Race/Elite course will add an ascent through Rock Garden, over Larch, and a descent of Elevator Shaft to make for 5000+ feet of vertical gain.
- Both routes exit down the ski out for final skate to the finish.
- Men, Women
- Youth, Elite, Enduro
- Entry fees: $70 adults, $35 for youth 19 and under
- online registration is available – www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/skimo
- or call 403-678-3200 (extension 108) to inquire, pay, or enlist directly
- there will be race day registration at 7.00am sharp
» First timers might want to check out this article: 6 tips to get you ready for your first skimo race
» To train your transitions see videos: ski mountaineering racing transitions with Reiner Thoni