During the upcoming Easter weekend Kicking Horse Mountain Resort (near Golden) will host the final round of the Canadian Ski Mountaineering Cup with its second annual Dogtooth Dash event.
Starting gun will go off on April 3rd (Saturday) and once again the event will be coveted as Canadian Ski Mountaineering Championships.
The race is run in partnership with the Alpine Club of Canada, the Golden Ski Mountaineering Club and the Kicking Horse Mtn Safety team.
The course is one the most challenging ski mountaineering race courses in North America, utilizing all three alpine bowls and featuring: technical boot packs, descents on each ridge line and a unique Le-Mans start.
The Dogtooth Dash race course is set entirely within the ski area boundary and will challenge athletes with about 5000 vertical feet of climbing/descending on the competitive course, and 2600 ft of climbing/descending on the rec course.
» If Dogtooth Dash is going to be your first skimo race then make sure to check out an older article that gives tips and advice for your first ski mountaineering race.
Basic facts and wide range of prizing categories
- Two race course options:
- Competitive (full course) and Recreational (poker run)
- Cash prizing for the fastest male and female racers of the day in the competitive course
- Masters prizing classes for racers 40+ and 50+
- The recreational class poker run with participants grabbing cards at transition stations and playing the best hand for first grabs at prizes at the Eagle’s Eye après
- New junior class for youth 18 and under:
- With free entry for the first 10 under 19 racers
- In partnership with backcountrysafety.com
- For more info and to register online see Golden Skimo blog
- Included in the entry fee is the chance to win great door prizes, apres at the Eagles Eye, lift ticket for the whole day and dinner at the pre-race meeting.
More prizes this year from The North Face, Integral Designs, Suunto, Black Diamond, Dynafit, Kicking Horse Coffee, Rossignol and more.
Go, race and have fun!