Vertfest in Alpental, WA has become Pacific’s North West iconic event and it’s not stopping there. This year, another two venues will host this backcountry ski festival – Mt. Bachelor, and Brighton ski area as part of the 3-day Powder Keg Ski Mountaneering Race.
Among many other festivities and clinics over the two days at Alpental this year’s Vertfest the skimo race – known as Monika Johnson Memorial Rally – is scheduled for Saturday.
One of Sunday’s clinics, with the name of “Speed Up”, will be taught by my SkinTrack colleague Eric Carter so make sure to sign up or just stop by to say hello.
Back in 2003 (or 2004) Alpental Randonnee Rally, not a Vertfest back then, was my first North American skimo race and I kept returning regularly, however, I have not raced there in about four years now. Maybe it’s time to go back again 😉
Quick facts about the race
- Saturday, February 15th
- 8 am: Racer Check-in / Day-of Registration
- 9 am: Racer Meeting, Avalanche beacon check
- 10 am: RACE START
- Elite race category will tackle two climbs for a combined of about 4100 feet
- Rec category will do one lap for a total of 2250 feet
- There will also be Heavy Mettle (200+ lb *gear not included) and Split-board categories, both doing 1 lap
- Bring your beacon, shovel and probe
Details and Online registration
And here is a planned course for the 2014 race:
- red means ascent
- blue means descent