I came across this footage on my friend’s blog – www.skialpinizmus.eu – and thought to share it with as many people as possible would be great. Have good laughs and make sure to pay attention to James Bond’s gear
My equipment guesses:
- The watch at about 10 seconds in looks like a hybrid of old Cassios and one of the first HP printers.
- Don’t know about the one piece ski suit, but he sure didn’t need any base layers like we do now. Any guesses?
- Best piece of equipment Bond used is still being used today.
I believe the backpack he had is Arc’Teryx Arrakis 50 liter. It looks the same.
- Skis are most likely Rossignols judging based on the ski tip art – Gallic rooster. See at about 49 seconds.
- I have no idea what the goggles were, whether his or the bad guys’.
- And I would like to find out what ski poles Bond was using too. They seem very cool with that shooting feature.
- Ski boots – no idea.
- I know nothing about parachutes and BASE jumping but Shane McConkey would have been proud of Bond for sure. He would have had good laughs too.
About the movie
The clip is from a movie called “The Spy who Loved Me” from 1977. According to Wikipedia it was filmed at many locations. Based on those listed this scene could have take place in Swiss Alps and at Mount Asgard on Baffin Island. More at Wikipedia.
Anyone have an idea about the equipment used in the movie? Funny or serious, share your thoughts.